Friday, March 20, 2009

What A Week!

Life's been definitely wacky lately. Work has been good, but now we've gotten word that there will be a layoff at the center. We're fortunate that this is the first one. Other centers are on their second and have had lots more people laid off. There will be 4 instructors laid off and 1 Customer Support person. This is going to be a tough few months. I'm not sure if this will be the only round of layoffs, no one is. But, all we can do is pray and prepare for the future, whatever that may bring. I would hate to have to get out there and job search right now. Honestly, I think if this person ends up being me, that we'd look at eliminating expenses and I would stay home for a while. It would be tight, but the more money we have the more we spend. We'd make it work. I pray that I don't have to make that choice. The company is leary of an aggressive lay off. After 9/11 they laid off a huge majority of people, only to recover in a few months and had to begin the drawn out process of rehiring. In aviation, that's not a simple task. Pilots / Instructors have to retain currency in their aircraft and this takes time. Instructors don't even produce revenue for the company for months when the are first hired. Besides all this bad news, the company is preparing some ambitious plans for it's future. A layoff will fix the immediate cash flow issues, but they still have to think of when they revive from this. Some centers, including ours, are still expanding, and now FlightSafety is planning on new centers in Africa and Japan. I hope I remain there in order to experience the new endeavours the company will take.

On a more personal note, I have been so sick. Remember when I said I have been feeling so rundown lately. Yeah, now I know why! I have bronchitis. I knew something was off. I coughed for two days, then went to the doctor on Thursday. She did a full work up on me: flu swab (just in case), checked ears, throat, and chest, oxygen saturation level, and a series of chest x-rays (I've never had an x-ray). She wanted to make sure there weren't signs of pneumonia. Thankfully, it was only bronchitis. She said they are seeing a more resistent strain this year, so she went for the strongest antibiotic- Levaquin. Oh, and I got cough syrup with codeine. I thought I would take the cough syrup and go to sleep. Yeah, not so much. I actually was wound up from it. Oh well, as long as it keeps this cough at bay. I don't seem any better yet, but I hope with rest (which I haven't gotten much of) I will begin to turn a corner.

Adam has been in rare form. His routine is off since Ms. Jean is on vacation. My niece has taken care of them so he's been full of mischief. He's got such a grin though when he's been caught. And those big brown eyes. But, he still gets a time out. Monday will much the same. His grandma is keeping him and it will take us a week to get him straightened back out after these 3 days away from Ms. Jean. She'll have fun.

Well, I am tired so I'm going to go take my meds and hit the hay. Tomorrow I hope to feel well enough to go do bluebonnet pictures and check out birthday party venues for Adam's party. Fun Fun!

1 comment:

  1. The boys had so much fun today at Going Bonkers. I'm glad I was able to be there. Can't wait for bluebonnets tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete